Well over 30 hikers and mushroom hunters joined Springwater Trails at the All Western Evergreen Nursery and Christmas Tree Farm on Sunday. It was a beautiful dry day. Not the best conditions for mushrooms that like wet soil, but our many hunters found a wide variety.
On Sunday four hikers enjoyed a beautiful day hiking on the Finger Lakes Trail. The Golden Rod was flourishing and the monarch butterflies we taking advantage in preparation for their flight to Mexico. I wanted to share some pictures. And all the birds you see are actually butterflies!
It is easy to check this website for information about the Sunday hike. Usually, the hike for next Sunday will appear as the first story on the home page. Some weeks our hike planner is busy and doesn’t post details until later in the week, so if you don’t see the hike on Monday, please check back later in the week. Also, check the calendar on the right hand side of the page, for events that are coming up.
If you prefer a weekly reminder, you are invited to join our mailing list. Most weeks you will receive a single email in the latter part of the week, with the full description of the hike and instructions for the drive to the hike meet point. Here are instructions for joining our mailing list.
- Browse to Google Groups. If you have a Google account, make sure you are signed in. If you don’t have a Google account, you can create one, using your current personal email address, or a new gmail address. Once you have a Google account, remember to browse to Google Groups.
- In the search box near the top of the page, enter Springwater Trails, and press the search button.
- Click on Apply for membership.
- In the box labeled “How did you learn about the Springwater Trails Organization”, please respond in a way that we will know you are a human interested in our hikes. You don’t have to promise to hike every Sunday, but that would be a good New Years Resolution!
- Click on the Apply to join this group button.
That’s it. It may take a few days for us to approve your membership, but it is important to us. If you think it is taking too long, a friendly reminder email to email@example.com will speed things up. Thank you for your interest.
There are several ways you can stop receiving our email messages.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org the email address where you receive our mail.
- Visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.and enter your email address where you receive our email.
- Go to https://groups.google.com and sign in.
- Click on My Groups
- Search for the Springwater Trails group.
- You can manage your emails on this line.
The Winter edition of the Finger Lakes Trail News magazine arrived in our mail box recently. and as always was filled with interesting articles. I wanted to share a few with you.
On page 6 was an article about Ron Abraham, who completed his End-to-End hike of the main Finger Lakes Trail, and all of the Branch trails in 2018. Ron has joined Springwater Trails several times and was kind enough to mention us in the article.
On page 25 is a quick teaser about the FLTC Spring Weekend in Bradford, PA. There will be opportunities that weekend to hike, bike and kayak in Allegany State Park over the three days (June 7, 8 and 9) of the weekend at the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford.
On page 26 is an add for chainsaw training in May. This two day course is required to allow you to use a chain saw while maintaining hiking trails within the Finger Lakes Trail system, or on state land. It is also valuable if you have a chain saw and would like to use it safely. Training will take place May 4-5 and May 18-19. John took the course last year. If you are interested, talk with me at any hike or at email@example.com.
The next Howard Beye Hike sponsored by the FLTC occurs Saturday, Jan 19, 2019. The hike will be 4.5 miles on the Onondaga Branch Trail through Morgan Hill State Forest. If you are interested in carpooling, we would need to leave Saturday morning at about 6:45 from the Springwater Town Hall. You can leave a comment on this post, or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to help organize a carpool.